* Used to sediment or deposit rapidly particles such as cells which may be suspended in a fluid.
* The speed is 3000 rpm + 10 minutes (suitable for blood and body specimen).
* The time of centrifugation is equally important for a definite period to obtain the desired effect.
Types of Centrifuge
* Fixed to the bench, the handle is rotated manually. It gives low speeds only.
* Operated thorough main electricity supply.
* The tubes may be kept in a fixed angle head or in a swing out head.
* Also motor driven for finding out packed cell volume (PCV) of red blood cell (RBC).
* In this, blood-filled capillary tubes are spun and later the percentage of RBC-filled column is estimated
Use and Care
* Strong potential for harming users due to the high speed at which they operate
* Should be installed according to the manufacturer specifications
* Do not locate the instrument near areas containing flammable reagents or where vibration will cause items to fall off nearby shelves.
Clean interior, condenser coils, fan, and screens.
Investigate unusual noises or vibrations.
Inspect for evidence of wear, cracks in fitting, corrosion, uneven wear, or signs of fatigue:
* Head, shaft head and coupling
* Brushes and bearings
* Power supply
* Motor and lubricant
* Gaskets, seals, mounts and lubricants