Estimation of Haemoglobin Concentration can be done by using Cyanmethaemoglobin Method
Absorbance reading for Sample A = 0.410
Absorbance reading of Standard haemoglobin Solution = 0.336
The Standard Haemoglobin Concentration = 14.2 g/dL
- 20 µL (0.002 ml) of blood sample are used in this test. Blood is kept in EDTA tube.
- 6 ml of Drapkin reagent are used in this test
- Mixed 20 µL of blood to 6 ml ICSH (Drapkin) reagent in a test-tube.
- Test tube is kept in dark area for about 10 minutes
- Pour into a cuvette.
- Set the spectrometer to a wavelength of 540 nm. Measure the absorbance of the diluted test samples and reagent solution.
- Calculate the haemoglobin concentration. using the following formula
- Concentration Hb = O.D test/ O.D standard X concentration Standard
= 0.410/0.366 X 14.2 g/dL
= 17.32 g/dL
- Adult Men = 14 – 17 g/dL
- Adult Female = 12.5 – 15 g/dL