Procedure of Leishman Staining
- Let thin blood film to air dry
- Then flood the slide with Leishman stain solution
- Wait for 8 minutes. Then flood off with distilled water in 2 – 3 seconds. Longer washing will remove stain
- Wait for 20 minutes. Observe the appearance of metallic cum that float on the surface of the slide.
- Then wash with tap water. Stand in a rack to drain and air dry.
Perform differential white blood cells count
- Using a low-power lens (10 x objectives) on the microscope, check the approximate differential cell distribution.
- Using the 40x objective high-power lens, perform a 200 cell differential count.
- 100x objective oil immersion lens should be used for examining fine intracellular details of the cells.
- Move the slide along the stage of the microscope in a broad battlement track running transversely across the body of the film, avoiding the edges completely.
- Record the numbers of each type of white cell. Calculate the percentage of each of the five basic leucocytes.