What is professional ethics?
- Professional Ethics concerns one's conduct of behaviour and practice when carrying out professional work.
Medical Lab Technologists must always:
- Exercise their professional judgment, skill and care to the best of the ability in such a manner to bring credits to the professions and in meeting established standards.
- Actively seek to establish cooperate with other health professionals.
- Provide expertise to advice and counsel other health professionals.
- Maintain confidentiality of patients information by not wittingly disclose results or information, of a personal and confidential nature to unauthorized persons.
- Safeguard the dignity and privacy of patients.
- Be responsible for the logical process from the acquisition of the specimen the production of data and the final report of test results.
- Be accountable for the quality and integrity of medical laboratory service.
- Maintain a responsible approach to the community at large with respect to the handling and disposal of hazardous material.
- Conduct themselves in a manner to uphold and maintain the highest level of honesty, integrity and reliability.
- Strive to improve their professional skill and knowledge and disseminate such knowledge to fellow members and persons under their control.
- Refrain from practices restricted by law and not indulge in unfair or improper practices for personal or professional gain.